In the realm of Canadian immigration, misconceptions about the Permanent Residency (PR) process persist, often leading to confusion and misinformation. It’s crucial to clarify that the Canadian government does not restrict individuals’ freedom of movement during the PR process, except within the parameters of their status in Canada, such as a work or study permit, or a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) nomination, which necessitates continued employment. Notably, the only status that becomes inactive upon leaving Canada is maintained status, a topic thoroughly explored in our previous blog posts.

For individuals already holding PR status, encountering situations where a valid PR card is unavailable, whether due to expiration or delayed issuance, can be concerning. However, there are practical solutions to facilitate their return to Canada.

Overland Entry

If individuals find themselves outside Canada without a valid PR card, they can still re-enter Canada by flying to the US and crossing the US-Canada land border with their Electronic Confirmation of Permanent Residence (ECOPR) documents. The distinction here is that you can only do this when crossing the border in a private vehicle. You cannot go via train, boat or bus. 

Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)

An alternative and reliable solution is to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), exclusively available from overseas. Impressively, the processing times for a PRTD are notably swift – typically taking a week to 10 days, provided that all required documents are promptly submitted with the application. Once the Canadian visa office overseas confirms an individual’s PR status, they affix a sticker akin to a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or PR sticker to the individual’s passport, signaling to airlines their right to enter Canada as a PR.

In cases where a PR card has expired, the PRTD application requires documentation of compliance with the residence obligation in Canada – spending 730 days in Canada or accompanying a Canadian spouse or partner overseas within the five years immediately preceding the PRTD application.

It’s also important to dispel another common immigration misunderstanding. Clients often mistakenly express that their PR is expiring, when they are actually referring to the expiration of their PR card. The term “Permanent” in Permanent Residency underscores its enduring nature – just as an expired passport doesn’t revoke citizenship, an expired PR card doesn’t diminish PR status.

Still Confused? Book a $50 Quick Q&A Session with Our Immigration Expert to Get Answers to All Your Questions

If you find yourself still grappling with questions or uncertainties regarding Canadian immigration and Permanent Residency, we offer a $50 Quick Q&A session with our experienced immigration expert. This personalized session is tailored to address your specific concerns and provide clear, concise answers to guide you through the intricacies of the immigration process. Don’t let confusion hinder your journey – book a session today to gain the clarity and insight you need to navigate your immigration path effectively.